Online Education Coordinator
The Online Education Coordinator provides an essential support role to all Technology Council students and instructors by providing timely and accurate technical assistance to support positive learning experiences in an online environment. As a member of the Indigenous Innovation and Technology Development Division, the Online Education Coordinator plays an important role in supporting the overall delivery of our programming in an online format.
The Online Education Coordinator assists in a variety of educational, technical, staff and administrative tasks to support our overall online operations in a virtual learning space. The OEC prepares information and workshops for new instructors, works closely with Student Services to prepare for computers for new cohorts, provides technical recommendations to key partners, and provides input on the development of new online learning opportunities.
This coordinator position suits a dynamic individual with online education experience, troubleshooting proficiency, and a desire to support Indigenous innovators in their learning journey.
About the Role
• Provides recommendations on any improvements the delivery of all online education to enhance the student learning experience.
• Provides primary technical support to all Technology Council students in online programs or courses.
• Liaises with program partners such as Royal Roads University as necessary in the resolution of technical issues.
• Provides primary technical support to online Instructors.
• Support the Manager, Indigenous Education in process of onboarding and offboarding instructors for all course deliveries.
• Proactively troubleshoots online learning issues and provides recommendations and solutions to the Manager, Indigenous Education.
• Works closely with the Student Services team to prepare computers and other equipment for new students.
• Assists with inventory tracking and management of student computers.
• Prepares supporting materials for the Massive Open Online Learning (MOOC) launch;
• Works closely with the Indigenous Innovation and Technology Development team to support the overall delivery of all online programs;
• Support with the systems management for all course deliverables received post-delivery;
• Contributes to course maintenance and development.
• Other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrates leadership aligned with Technology Council brand and core values.
• Advanced computer skills, with knowledge of online learning formats, Moodle platform, etc.
• Ability to troubleshoot online and computer issues in a remote environment.
• Ability to set up and format laptops as needed.
• Understanding of best practices and principles of online learning.
• Understanding of best practices and principles of Indigenous Adult learning.
• Ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others.
• Clear communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with educational and industry partners.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Education, Online Education, Computer Studies or a relevant combination of education and experience.
• Experience with CMS like Moodle.
• Experience working in Indigenous adult education.
• Sound understanding of the history of First Nations in British Columbia, and an ability and interest to learn more about the history, culture, protocols and practices, socio-economic issues, rights and future vision of Indigenous peoples.
• Ability to work remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The First Nations Technology Council holds the following core values, which all employees are expected to honour, demonstrate and deepen through individual practice and team development: trust, humility, community, spirit, innovation for 7 generations, listening, resilience, indigenous wisdom, and heart.
This position reports directly to the Manager, Indigenous Education
This position is located at the First Nations Technology Council headquarters Unit 102 – 70 Orwell Street on Squamish Nation land in North Vancouver, B.C. During the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will work remotely until further notice, in alignment with public health directives and best practices.