Water & Wastewater Operator III
The Water and Wastewater Operator Level III is responsible for performing tasks related to the installation and operation of the water distribution, water treatment, and wastewater collection systems. Responsibilities also include ensuring work is performed safely and in adherence to established work standards.
• Participates in the planning, prioritizing, and review of the operational, maintenance and repair work needed at the beginning of each year.
• Evaluates operations and activities; recommends improvements and modifications; prepares and/or reviews various reports on operation and activities.
• Responds and addresses all public concerns pertaining to the water and wastewater system in a courteous and professional manner.
• Monitors water and wastewater facilities and equipment for needed maintenance and repairs; also inspects the work safety of staff while in progress; provides leadership and assistance when needed.
• Maintains time, material and equipment as part of the preventative maintenance program.
• Performs other related duties as assigned within the Development Services department.
• Authorize/inspect connections to Water/Wastewater systems as outlined in the WFN Waterworks/Waste Water Law.
• Enforce infractions and violations to the WFN laws for the Waterworks/Wastewater infrastructures.
• Maintains the cross connection program and database.
• Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with industry standard and the Westbank First Nation policies, standards and procedures.
• Maintains confidentiality on all matters relating to the affairs of Westbank First Nation.
• All persons employed by Westbank First Nation will be required to assist the organization in providing emergency services. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
• Performs supervisory duties as assigned from time to time
• Being part of the rotating on-call schedule is required for this position which includes responding to after hour calls within a 20 minute response time and takes corrective action as required.
• EOCP Water Distribution Operator’s Certificate (Level III)
• EOCP Waste Water Collection Operator’s Certificate (Level I)
• EOCP Water Treatment Certificate (Level III)
• First-aid Certificate (Level I)
• Chlorine Handling Certificate
• Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
• Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certificate
• Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS)
• BCWWA Current Cross Connection Control Backflow Device Testing Certificate
• Experience using SCADA
• Maintains certification through continuing education
• Confined Space Entry and Awareness Certificate
• Administrative, maintenance tracking, inventory controls on projects, spreadsheets and word processing.
• Supervisor/mentoring training.
• Valid Class 1 or Class 3 with air brake endorsement BC Driver’s License
• Confined Space Rescue training
• Ability to effectively mentor co-workers.
• Demonstrated knowledge of relevant health and safety practices and regulations both Provincially and Federally.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written).
• Working knowledge in relevant Utility area.
• Working knowledge with the regulatory requirements of the operations and maintenance of municipal assets.
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to follow oral or written instructions and procedures.
• Ability to read, understand and interpret plans and specifications.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and demonstrate flexibility.
• Demonstrated ability to make effective decisions.
• Skill and knowledge in the use and maintenance of equipment and tools related to the work.
• Extensive experience monitoring and troubleshooting relevant equipment and infrastructure.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Demonstrated mechanical aptitude and ability to work well with tools.
• Knowledge of water quality issues as they apply to the WFN waterworks system.
• Dependable, reliable and available to work overtime as required and to be on standby.
• Work cooperatively with other WFN departments and outside organizations.
• Ability to work independently or within a team structure.
• Ability to work in inclement weather.
• Physically able to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Desire and ability to attend training seminars or upgrading of existing skills as required.
• Comfortable dealing with Membership and the public.
• Knowledge of plan reading, pipe locating, and map reading (both paper and digital).
• Ability to review and comment on design drawings.
• Ability to be self-motivated with personal initiative to start and complete projects with pre-approval when required.
A competitive starting salary rate, commensurate with appropriate experience is offered.