Potluck - DTES Kitchen Tables Project FOOD PROCUREMENT CONSULTANT Posting FINAL
About Potluck & the Downtown Eastside Kitchen Tables Project
Potluck is an award winning Social Enterprise operating in the Downtown Eastside (DTES) of Vancouver. The DTES Kitchen Tables Project, a program of Potluck Cafe Society, is based on the Right to Food philosophy. Founded in 2009, the Project works in collaboration with DTES Residents and Food Providers along with multiple collaborators to create a sustainable DTES Food System which enables people to access abundant, healthy food in a dignified manner while creating jobs for people with barriers to traditional employment.
We are seeking a Food Procurement and Supply Chain Management ‘Guru’. This is your opportunity to mix professional industry experience while taking part in reforming the DTES food system. As Consultant (and ‘Guru’) you will apply your passion and understanding of Food Procurement Best Practices to design the implementation the launch of our Collective Food Procurement Mechanism. The Procurement Mechanism leverages the collective purchasing power of both large and small DTES Food Providers to increase their ability to purchase or procure low cost, quality fresh food items while opening up new, untapped supplier channels to local BC and Canadian farmers and growers, including Urban Farmers.
The Collective Procurement Consultant is responsible for the following deliverables to the DTES Kitchen Tables Project Team by the end of this contract.
• Meet with and gather info/needs from, DTES Food Providers already interested in joining the DTES Kitchen Tables Collective Procurement Mechanism.
• Identify and meet with existing DTES Food Providers’ food suppliers to inform them of the implementation of the Procurement Mechanism.
• Identify new suppliers and growers, including Urban Farmers, to supply the Procurement Mechanism.
• Identify potential existing Food Broker Service providers
• Identify, detail and create all systems, processes, procedures, guidelines, tools, written marketing and contract materials required to launch and implement the DTES Kitchen Tables Collective Procurement Mechanism.
• Mentor the DTES Kitchen Tables Project Manager to manage the regular and ongoing administration of the Procurement Mechanism.
The design of the DTES Kitchen Tables Procurement Mechanism includes the following features and options available to DTES Food Providers, both large and small:
• Food Broker Services
• Food Donation Management Services
• Special Wholesale Food Purchase Opportunities
• Locally Grown Food Suppliers (including Urban Farmers)
• Mobile & Non-Traditional DTES Community Farmers Market
Key Success Factors & Qualifications As Consultant, success will be achieved through:
• The ability to apply demonstrated experience in Food Procurement and Supply Chain Management Best Practices
• Entrepreneurial spirit with the business skills to implement and launch a sustainable Collective Food Procurement Mechanism
• Broad knowledge and passion for the food system in Vancouver, British Columbia and Canada including Local Farmers and Urban Farmers
• Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written
• Outgoing, friendly and professional with the ability to engage with a broad range of DTES non-profit organizations, various food suppliers and brokers
• Analytical and accountable
• Invested in reforming the DTES Food System for the wellbeing and long term sustainability of the low-income Downtown Eastside community
Deadline To Apply: Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012
Please Email the following to:
Heather O’Hara, Potluck Executive Director
Resume (please include 3 references)
*Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.