About the Organization
Established by the Heiltsuk Tribal Council (HTC) in 2006, the Heiltsuk Economic Development Corporation (HEDC) is the business operations arm of the Heiltsuk Nation. Led by an executive management team and governed at arm's length by a Board of Directors, the HEDC is responsible for business affairs of the Heiltsuk Nation. With an objective to improve the economic well-being of the residents of Bella Bella, the HEDC seeks to enhance existing businesses and implement new business opportunities in the region.
As a corporation, the HEDC honors the Heiltsuk values of respect, sharing, honor, caring for one another and for the natural world.
For more information about the HEDC, please visit our website.
About Bella Bella
The village of Bella Bella can be found on the east coast of Campbell Island, on the Central Coast region of British Columbia. Located approximately 180 kilometers north of Port Hardy and 145 kilometers west of Bella Coola, Bella Bella is an ideal spot for any outdoor enthusiast. With the natural splendour of the Great Bear Rainforest, the region also boasts a wide range of outdoor activities, including fishing, kayaking, camping and whale watching.
The largest community on the Central Coast north of Queen Charlotte Strait, Bella Bella has a population of around 1,450 and is home to the Heiltsuk First Nation. Despite its remote location, the community has access to a regional airport, BC Ferries terminal, regional hospital, regional RCMP detachment, public dock, grocery store, post office, fuel station, fish plant, forestry company, freight company, K-12 school, local college, Cablevision and telecommunications infrastructure, Canadian Coast Guard Search and Rescue (SAR) facility, as well as a number of bed and breakfast establishments, restaurants and small shops.
This is a truly unique opportunity for someone to immerse themselves in a traditional First Nations community, while enjoying the pristine beauty of BC’s central coast. Although ground transportation to Bella Bella is unavailable, BC Ferries services and regular scheduled flights are in operation year-round.
About the Opportunity
HEDC has an exciting opportunity for an adaptable, finance-minded professional to become the new Accounting Supervisor in Bella Bella, British Columbia.
As the Accounting Supervisor, you will be responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This role will see your responsibilities include developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures in order to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. You will also supervise four staff members and manage the team in order to ensure that work is properly allocated as well as completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, and the support of budget and forecast activities.
Key responsibilities in this role will include, but are not limited to:
- Obtaining and maintaining a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensuring an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close.
- Ensuring the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Ensuring daily banking requirements are met.
- Ensuring the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
- Ensuring the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Supporting budget and forecasting activities.
- Collaborating with the Chief Operating Officer to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Monitoring and analyzing department work in order to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advising staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responding to inquiries from the Chief Operating Officer and firm-wide managers regarding financial results and special reporting requests as well as any other similar queries.
- Ensuring a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Supervising the finance staff to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Assisting in developing and implementing new procedures and features in order to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Providing training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Handling personnel issues relating to issues such as staff conflicts, absenteeism, and performance issues.
- Working with each direct report in order to establish goals and objectives for each year as well as monitoring and advising on the progress needed to enhance the professional development of staff.
To qualify for this role, the successful candidate will have an accounting designation such as a CPA (or near completion) combined with 3 - 5 years of prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
Our ideal candidate will also have the following:
- Experience with Sage Accounting 50 or other large automated accounting systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Access, and Word.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory, and customer service skills.
- The ability to multi-task, work under pressure, and meet deadlines.
If you enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment and want to take your career to the next level with a highly respected community, then please read on to see what the HEDC has to offer!
About the Benefits
This is your chance to take on a hands-on role where you can offer your financial expertise to mentor other staff and make a lasting difference to the development of the HEDC.
In this role, you will be rewarded with a competitive annual salary plus a range of great benefits, including:
- Subsidized housing provided
- Full Benefits (Long, Health, Extended Health and Pension)
- 3 weeks' annual paid vacations; plus designated holidays
- CPA Tuition assistance
- Professional development allowance
- Relocation assistance is available for the right candidate
If you're looking for a leadership position that is guaranteed to provide you with satisfaction - Apply Now!