Reporting to the Chief and Council, the Band Administrator is accountable for overseeing the delivery of all Band programs, including health, education, housing, social assistance, public works, and administration. The Band Administrator also acts as a liaison between other government agencies and departments (particularly that of Indigenous Services Canada), private industry and any other individuals, groups or agencies operating in the community. The Band Administrator must provide records and documents to the relevant governments and agencies, when requested. The individual must also ensure that all business and operations are conducted in a responsible and ethical way.
General duties include:
Strategic and Operational Band Management
- Provides leadership in developing organizational strategic and operational plans under the direction of Chief and Council.
- Ensures that strategic goals/plans, policies and procedures, and community programs are developed, implemented, and evaluated.
- Ensures that all Band operations are conducted within relevant legislation, policies, and procedures. Interprets applicable legislation, regulations, and agreements in consultation with appropriate government departments or legal counsel when needed.
- Manages agreements and relationships with applicable government agencies and departments. Submits reports, or ensures submission, of applicable government departments or agencies as required regarding social services or education issues, health and capital projects.
- Manages the community’s infrastructure and assets. Supervises equipment and facility use and maintenance.
- Ensures filing and record keeping systems are established and maintained.
- Manages the process for the development of an Annual Risk Management Plan and Fraud Risk Plan.
Financial Operations Management
- Oversees and supervises all financial operations of the Band including budgeting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Provides direction and support to the Financial Officer, Program Managers and corporate entities in the development and management of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Provides leadership and advice to Chief and Council in the management of financial affairs of the Gitsegukla Band and its entities.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of all budget and funding requirements, applicable government financial legislation and policies, as well as all Band financial policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the preparation of the budget for Band operations.
- Ensures monthly and quarterly financial statements and reports are completed in a timely manner.
- Reviews all monthly and quarterly financial statements for accuracy and completeness.
- Establishes and ensures internal financial controls are in place.
- Monitors purchasing, tendering and other financial transactions for the Band.
Program and Service Delivery Management
- Oversees program delivery in all areas, including health, education, housing, social assistance, and administration.
- Develops proposals for program funding.
- Ensures program funds are expended appropriately.
- Establishes and maintains program policies, procedures and standards.
- Develops evaluation criteria that can identify and measure the effectiveness of programs and program delivery.
Coordination of Community Development Activities
- Maintains an open, equitable and service oriented relationship between the community and the Band administration.
- Assists in the development, coordination and implementation of the comprehensive community plan (CCP).
- Develops evaluation criteria that can identify and measure the effectiveness of the community plan and its implementation. Coordinates with relevant parties to identify concerns, issues or challenges to implementation of the CCP.
- Ensures that Gitsegukla Band members have the opportunity to share their views, concerns and needs relative to new or continuous programs, services, and initiatives of the Gitsegukla Indian Band. Conducts community needs assessments as required.
- Researches potential funding, programs and projects as required.
Band Council Support and Administration
- Prepares materials and reports in support of Band Council operations.
- Attends all Band Council meetings; coordinates the preparation of agendas, information and resources for Band Meetings and Band Council Members.
- Maintains and circulates minutes of Band Council Meetings as well as all Band Council Resolutions.
- Acts as a liaison between Band Council and Band Members.
- Ensures that all Band Council business is conducted within relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Facilitates the exchange of information between Band Council and Band Members. Conveys Council decisions to the public.
- Represents the Band at local, regional, provincial, and national meetings as required.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position, and as assigned by the Chief and Council.
- When instructed, coordinates a strategic planning session or initiatives for Chief and Council.
Human Resource Management
- Manages staff in accordance with Band standards and performance expectations. Oversees day-to-day activities. Evaluates performance of staff.
- Recruits, coaches, and mentors’ staff. Coordinates training and development activities.
- Promotes and provides for a positive working environment aligned with the culture and values of the Gitsegukla Indian Band and broadly within the values of the Gitxsan Nation.
Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as assigned by Chief and Council.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of key issues, legislation, policies, and procedures relating to First Nations administration.
- Ability to manage First Nations resources, including people, materials, assets, and money.
- Strong team leadership and management skills.
- Strong financial and operations management skills.
- Working knowledge of public sector accounting standards (PSAS).
- Ability to establish good working relationships, both internally and with external stakeholders.
- Ability to manage conflict using sound judgement.
- Effective written communications skills, including the ability to prepare reports, policies, and Band Council documents.
- Possesses cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Demonstrates a dedication to the role and to the Gitsegukla Community.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Post-secondary education in business, finance, Aboriginal studies, and other related field is preferred.
- Masters degree considered an asset.
- 5+ years of related experience, ideally in a management role for a First Nations organization, with responsibility for the following areas:
- Financial management
- Human resources management
- Program management and delivery
- Program evaluation
- Professional appearance
- Must review and follow all Gitsegukla Policies and Procedures, and be able to provide direction to staff on policy interpretation
- Ability to successfully and periodically undergo an appropriate criminal records review and police record check is required
Ability to successfully and periodically undergo an appropriate criminal records review and police record check is required.
If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not call or email the Band Office, Band Administrator or Councillors regarding this or any other job posting, doing so will result in disqualification.
Applications will only be considered from those eligible to work in Canada. All applicants who require a work permit or sponsorship for employment in Canada will not be considered.
Please note only candidates considered for the interview process will be contacted.