- Use your leadership and education skills to assist in developing our community while honouring our heritage!
- Receive a competitive annual salary plus benefits!
- Don't miss this chance to make a true difference to the vibrant community of the Canim Lake Band.
About the Community
The people of the Canim Lake Band are a progressive people, striving for self-sufficiency through education, economic development, social development, and overall management of its lands and resources. We have a strong leadership in council as well as within the community, nation, and province overall.
We are a proud nation with a rich heritage and culture. As such we are integrating our historic past and technological present to meet our present needs.
For more information please visit our website.
About Eliza Archie Memorial School
The Eliza Archie Memorial School was named to honour Eliza Archie who devoted a lifetime of dedication and energy towards the advancement of her people and her community.
To this day the Eliza Archie Memorial School continues to serve the Canim Lake and surrounding communities by providing quality education and support services that meet and exceed today's educational standards within the context of promoting and preserving Secwepemic identity.
About the Opportunity
Currently, the Canim Lake Band is looking for a dynamic Principal to lead our K-7 Band Operated School in Canim Lake, BC.
Reporting to the Education Administrator, the Principal will be responsible for the education program and its delivery to 26 students for up to 3 days per week.
The Principal will provide leadership and administration which will motivate and support personnel to strive for superior performance so as to provide the best possible opportunities for student growth and development.
More specifically your responsibilities as Principal will include:
- Developing and administering the general school routine and coordinating all activities within the school building.
- Participating in the selection of new teaching and classified personnel.
- Observing, counselling, and motivating professional staff towards becoming a high performing team in order to attain the educational goals of Eliza Archie Memorial School.
- Utilizing to the fullest extent possible all available school facilities, materials, and staff service personnel.
- Maintaining an educational philosophy and school climate which encourages a cooperative and participating attitude on the parts of all teachers.
- Participating in the First Nations Schools Association Professional Learning Communities initiative.
- Maintaining a standard of student behaviour designed to command respect and minimize school and classroom interruptions including the resolution of any student behavioural problems occurring on the school bus.
- Identifying intellectual, physical, social, and emotional needs affecting students success in school and taking steps to direct and coordinate the efforts of teachers and parents with staff.
- Planning and submitting annual budget needs for the building to the Education Administrator prior to April 1 of each year.
- Maintaining effective communication to keep Chief & Council staff, students, and parents properly informed.
- Planning and conducting staff meetings as necessary with a minimum of one per month.
- Recommending to the Education Administrator any changes which will lead to improved administration, supervision or an opportunity for student development.
- Actively participating and encouraging staff participation in parent-teacher and other community groups as a means of developing understanding, cooperation, and respect for school objectives and endeavours.
In order to qualify for this role, you will need a bachelors degree in education coupled with excellent leadership skills and a minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position. Being a member in good standing with the BC College of Teachers is also required as is previous experience working in a First Nations School.
As our ideal candidate for this role, you will have knowledge of culturally responsive teaching practices. In addition, you will have excellent computer literacy along with special education training or experience working with students with special needs.
Do you want to make a lasting difference to a vibrant First Nation community? Here’s your chance.
About the Benefits
As recognition for all your hard work and determination, you can look forward to a competitive annual salary, plus an excellent benefits package as per the Canim Lake Band Teacher Human Resource Policy.
This is your chance to make a change in a dynamic environment! If you share our values and have the skills necessary to bring success to the role, then we invite you to apply today!