WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
This is the phase of the project that sees the operations coming to a close. The lifespan of a project will vary. Decommissioning protocols will need to be followed to ensure a safe return of the resource as close to its natural state as possible.
WHAT ARE DECOMMISSIONING PROTOCOLS?
Decommissioning is the removal of project structures and facilities after a project ceases operations. Reclamation refers to those activities that are used to return the site to a stable condition that is close to pre-project conditions. Like construction, these activities tend to occur over a relatively short term. The impacts of decommissioning and reclamation depend on many specific details.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER:
- How will facilities and structures be removed?
- What facilities and structures will remain in place?
- What is the timeframe?
- How will the proponent be held accountable for decommissioning practices?
- How will the water be protected?
- How will the soil be protected?